Pro·bos·cid·ea | \ ˌprōbəˈsidēə, -ˌbäˈs-; prōˌbäsəˈd-\
Definition of Proboscidea
(Entry 1 of 2)
: an order of large gravigrade mammals comprising the elephants and extinct related forms that typically have some of the teeth enlarged into tusks with corresponding modifications of the skull, that often have the nose drawn out into a trunk, and that are now limited to Africa and parts of Asia though formerly present in most parts of the world — compare mammoth, mastodon
Definition of Proboscidea (Entry 2 of 2)
taxonomic synonym of martynia
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Tiger Mom, Helicopter Parent, and More Words for Parenting Types
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 6/21/19
- An Overview of the Contronym 'Overlook'
- Is 'Cement' 'Concrete'?
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words for Summer: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game