Definition of Portland stone
1 : a yellowish white oolitic building limestone
2 [ from Portland, town in southern Connecticut, its locality ] : a purplish brown sandstone
3 or portland stone : light stone
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game