Pla·gi·os·to·mi | \ ˌplājēˈästəˌmī\
Definition of Plagiostomi
in some especially former classifications
: a group of fishes more or less exactly equivalent to Chondrichthyes or more restrictedly an order including the existing sharks and rays as distinguished from the chimaeras and the extinct primitive groups Pleuropterygii and Ichthyotomi — compare selachii
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 9/13/19
- A Guide to Using Colons
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?