\ ˈpir|sə̇z-, -iə|\
Definition of Pierce's disease
: a virus disease of grapes marked by delay in leafing out and interveinal mottling and spotting followed by scalding and blighting of the leaves, premature defoliation, early ripening and withering of the fruit, reduced growth, and eventual death of the vines
— called also Anaheim disease, California vine disease— see alfalfa dwarf
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 'Bounty Hunter': A Hollywood Invention
- Casting Light on 'Angel'
- Words We're Watching: 'Lewk'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 11/8/19
Ask the Editors
- Confusing Words—A Quiz Take the quiz
- Here Be Dragons: A Creature Identification Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game