Definition of Parnassian
1 [ Latin parnassius of Parnassus, from Greek parnasios, from Parnasos Parnassus, mountain in Greece sacred to Apollo and the Muses ] : of or relating to poetry
2 [ French parnassien, from Parnasse Parnassus; from Le Parnasse contemporain (1866), an anthology of poetry ] : of or relating to a school of French poets of the second half of the 19th century emphasizing metrical form rather than emotion
Keep scrolling for more
an act or instance of editing or removing
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 12 Words For A Lunar Travelogue
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 7/19/19
- On ‘Perpetrate’ and ‘Perpetuate’
- 13 Verbs From The Breakfast Table
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?