\ ˈpalˌmē, ˈpäˌm-, -mī\
Definition of Palmae
: a family (coextensive with the order Palmales) of chiefly tropical trees, shrubs, and vines comprising the palms, having a usually tall columnar trunk that lacks a cambium and is therefore incapable of true secondary growth and bears a crown of very large leaves with stout sheathing and often prickly petioles whose persistent bases often clothe the trunk, and producing small flowers in very large clusters each subtended by a spathe
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game