Definition of Normandy
region and former province of northwestern France bordering the English Channel northeast of Brittany; capital Rouen
Note: In World War II, Normandy was the scene of a massive invasion of German-occupied France by Allied forces on June 6, 1944.
incapable of being surmounted or overcome
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words for Summer: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game