plural Moor's heads or Moors' heads
Definition of Moor's head
1a : a representation of a human head with features characteristic or formerly supposed to be characteristic of a Moor
b : a heraldic representation of a head usually with the features and color of a black person depicted in profile with a band about the forehead unless a different position or a different headdress is specified
2 : something likened to the head of a Moor: such as
a obsolete : a dark or black head usually occurring on a roan horse
b archaic : a globular copper or glass condenser for the top of a still
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Citation Play the game