Definition of Missouri
1 river 2466 miles (3968 kilometers) long in the western U.S. flowing from southwestern Montana into the Mississippi River in eastern Missouri — see three forks
Note: The waters that flow from the head of the Missouri to the mouth of the Mississippi form the longest stretch of river in North America 3877 miles (6238 kilometers).
2 state in the central U.S. having the Mississippi River forming its borders with Illinois, Kentucky, and Tennessee; capital Jefferson City area 69,697 square miles (180,515 square kilometers), population 5,988,927
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 12/6/19
- Getting with the ‘Program’ (or ‘Programme’)
- Why Do We Say Teams Get a 'Bye'?
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 11/29/19
Ask the Editors
- Semantic Drift Quiz Take the quiz
- A Thanksgiving Word Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game