Definition of Missouri
1 river 2466 miles (3968 kilometers) long in the western U.S. flowing from southwestern Montana into the Mississippi River in eastern Missouri — see three forks
Note: The waters that flow from the head of the Missouri to the mouth of the Mississippi form the longest stretch of river in North America 3877 miles (6238 kilometers).
2 state in the central U.S. having the Mississippi River forming its borders with Illinois, Kentucky, and Tennessee; capital Jefferson City area 69,697 square miles (180,515 square kilometers), population 5,988,927
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Summer Reading Picks from Merriam-Webster Staffers
- The Wayward Cousins of 'Irregardless'
- Different Words for Luggage and Baggage
- Rapping on 'Bad Rap' and 'Bad Rep' (and 'Bad Wrap')
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Challenging Vocabulary Quiz Returns! Take the quiz
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game