Definition of Mississippi
1 river 2340 miles (3765 kilometers) long in the central U.S. flowing from north central Minnesota to the Gulf of Mexico in Louisiana and flowing through or forming a border of ten states — see itasca, lake
2 river 105 miles (169 kilometers) long in southeastern Ontario, Canada, flowing northeast and north into the Ottawa River
3 state in the southern U.S. bordering on the Gulf of Mexico and having the Mississippi River forming all of its border with Arkansas and part of its border with Louisiana; capital Jackson area 47,689 square miles (123,514 square kilometers), population 2,967,297 — see also mississippian sense 1
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why is there a 'd' in 'fridge' but not in 'refrigerator'?
- 'All Intensive Purposes' or 'All Intents and Purposes'?
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Name that Thing: Dog Breeds Take the quiz
- Words You Should Know Quiz, Vol. 1 Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game