Definition of Mirfak
: a yellow-white giant star of the second magnitude that is the brighest star in the constellation Perseus She says that in former times, when the star we call Mirfak in the constellation Perseus began to approach the sun, it signaled the beginning of the buffalo's spring migrations through the gap.— Ian Frazier, On The Rez, 2000
— called also Alpha Persei
Keep scrolling for more
an act or instance of editing or removing
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 12 Words For A Lunar Travelogue
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 7/19/19
- On ‘Perpetrate’ and ‘Perpetuate’
- 13 Verbs From The Breakfast Table
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?