Marquesas Islandsgeographical name
Definition of Marquesas Islands
islands in the South Pacific north of the Tuamotu Archipelago in French Polynesia; capital Taiohae (on Nuku Hiva) area 480 square miles (1248 square kilometers), population 7358
see also marquesan
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 9/13/19
- A Guide to Using Colons
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?