Mac·rau·che·nia | \ ˌmaˌkrȯˈkēnēə\
Definition of Macrauchenia
: a genus (the type of the family Macraucheniidae) of long-necked three-toed Pleistocene mammals (order Litopterna) of South America that had a complete dentition of 44 teeth without a diastema and with pitted incisors like those of the horse, the external nostrils far back, cervical vertebrae resembling those of camels, and other characters suggesting rhinoceroses
Keep scrolling for more
something valued as if it were money
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Slippery Words Quiz—Changing with the Times Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game