Definition of Macartney rose
: a tall-growing rambling Chinese evergreen rose (Rosa bracteata) that has hairy branches, strong hooked prickles, and large solitary fragrant white flowers above prominent bracts and that has been introduced into and naturalized in warmer parts of Europe and America
Keep scrolling for more
something valued as if it were money
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Slippery Words Quiz—Changing with the Times Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game