Definition of Macao
1 peninsula in the province of Guangdong, southeastern China, in the Xi River delta west of Hong Kong
2 special administrative region of southeastern China comprising Macao Peninsula and two small adjacent islands; formerly a Portuguese overseas territory with the city of Macao as its capital area 9.1 square miles (23.6 square kilometers), population 552,503
Note: The economy of Macao is based to a large extent on casinos and tourism.
3 city in the special administrative region of Macao population 469,000
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Summer Reading Picks from Merriam-Webster Staffers
- The Wayward Cousins of 'Irregardless'
- Different Words for Luggage and Baggage
- Rapping on 'Bad Rap' and 'Bad Rep' (and 'Bad Wrap')
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Slippery Words Quiz—Changing with the Times Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game