Lo·rentz·ian | \ (ˌ)lōˈrentsēən, (ˌ)lȯˈ-\
Definition of Lorentzian
: of, relating to, or being a function that relates the intensity of radiation emitted by an atom at a given frequency to the peak radiation intensity, that gives the distribution of the frequencies emitted, that resembles a normal curve but builds up and drops off more gradually, and that has the form I(ν) = I0 (γ/2π) / ((ν - ν0)2 + (γ/2)2) where I is the radiation intensity, ν is the frequency, I0 is the peak intensity, γ is the width of the distribution, and ν0 is the frequency of peak intensity
Keep scrolling for more
to form ideas or theories about something
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Farm Idioms Quiz Take the quiz
- Up in the Sky: A Quiz Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game