Lo·rentz·ian | \ (ˌ)lōˈrentsēən, (ˌ)lȯˈ-\
Definition of Lorentzian
: of, relating to, or being a function that relates the intensity of radiation emitted by an atom at a given frequency to the peak radiation intensity, that gives the distribution of the frequencies emitted, that resembles a normal curve but builds up and drops off more gradually, and that has the form I(ν) = I0 (γ/2π) / ((ν - ν0)2 + (γ/2)2) where I is the radiation intensity, ν is the frequency, I0 is the peak intensity, γ is the width of the distribution, and ν0 is the frequency of peak intensity
Keep scrolling for more
an act or instance of returning to life
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game