Li·mic·o·lae | \ līˈmikəˌlē\
Definition of Limicolae
1 in some especially former classifications : an order or suborder of migratory birds comprising the sandpipers and related forms (family Scolopacidae) or often being made coextensive with the suborder Charadrii
2 in some especially former classifications : a group of Oligochaeta comprising the more aquatic and typically smaller oligochaete worms — compare terricolae
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Is the Word 'Freshman' Going Out of Style?
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/23/19
- Getting to the Heart of 'Epicenter'
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game