Definition of Leicester
(Entry 1 of 3)
1 : an individual of a breed of white-faced long wool sheep having a massive body and heavy fleece that was originally developed in England and extensively used in the development of numerous modern sheep breeds
2 : a hard usually orange-colored cheese similar to cheddar
Definition of Leicester (Entry 3 of 3)
city central England population 444,000
Note: Leicester is the capital of Leicestershire.
Keep scrolling for more
something valued as if it were money
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Slippery Words Quiz—Changing with the Times Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game