Lac·er·til·ia | \ ˌlasə(r)ˈtilēə\
Definition of Lacertilia
: a division of Reptilia (usually a suborder of Squamata) comprising the true lizards, chameleons, geckos, and various related limbless forms all related closely to the snakes in structure and of origin no earlier apparently than the Jurassic and typically distinguished by a tapering tail, well-developed pentadactyl limbs, a scaly or tuberculated skin, and movable eyelids — compare gila monster
Keep scrolling for more
an act or instance of editing or removing
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 12 Words For A Lunar Travelogue
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 7/19/19
- On ‘Perpetrate’ and ‘Perpetuate’
- 13 Verbs From The Breakfast Table
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?