Definition of Jerusalem
city in southwestern Asia northwest of the Dead Sea; divided 1948–67 between Jordan (old city) and Israel (new city); capital of Israel since 1950 and formerly the capital of the ancient kingdoms of Israel and Judah; old city under Israeli control since 1967 population 765,000
Note: Jerusalem is a holy city for Jews, Christians, and Muslims.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Citation Play the game