Definition of Jerusalem
city in southwestern Asia northwest of the Dead Sea; divided 1948–67 between Jordan (old city) and Israel (new city); capital of Israel since 1950 and formerly the capital of the ancient kingdoms of Israel and Judah; old city under Israeli control since 1967 population 765,000
Note: Jerusalem is a holy city for Jews, Christians, and Muslims.
something valued as if it were money
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Slippery Words Quiz—Changing with the Times Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game