Definition of Jeffersonian
: of, relating to, or associated with Thomas Jefferson … in an essay on Jefferson and Jeffersonian science, Holton exposes a fresh facet of this remarkable personality: Jefferson formulated the nation's first science policy.— Daniel Kleppner especially : of, relating to, or consistent with the political principles and ideas held by or associated with Thomas Jefferson : consistent with or characterized by Jeffersonianism Jeffersonian democracy Jeffersonian principles Fundamentally, they sought to foster the Jeffersonian concept of an agrarian society, harkening back to the belief that a strong central government was the enemy of individual liberty, a tyranny to be feared. — Mary Beth Norton et al.
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?