I'll be darnedidiom
Definition of I'll be darned
chiefly US, informal
—used to show that one is very surprised about something Well I'll be darned! You actually showed up! —often + if I offered to help, but I'll be darned if she didn't do the whole thing herself. —sometimes shortened to darned if I told them they wouldn't enjoy the trip but darned if they didn't come anyway.
to form ideas or theories about something
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Farm Idioms Quiz Take the quiz
- Up in the Sky: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game