I'll be damnedidiom
Definition of I'll be damned
informal + impolite
1 —used to show that one is very surprised about something Well I'll be damned! Our team actually won! —often + if I spent an hour putting the machine together and I'll be damned if it didn't fall apart as soon as I tried to use it. —sometimes shortened to damned if I told them they wouldn't enjoy the trip but damned if they didn't come anyway.
2 —used to say that one cannot or will not do something —+ if I'll be damned if I can remember where I left my keys.I'll be damned if I'm going to eat any more of that disgusting food.
to form ideas or theories about something
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Farm Idioms Quiz Take the quiz
- Up in the Sky: A Quiz Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game