I'll be darnedidiom
Definition of I'll be darned
chiefly US, informal
—used to show that one is very surprised about something Well I'll be darned! You actually showed up! —often + if I offered to help, but I'll be darned if she didn't do the whole thing herself. —sometimes shortened to darned if I told them they wouldn't enjoy the trip but darned if they didn't come anyway.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game