Hor·ne·oph·y·ton | \ ˈhȯ(r)nēˈäfəˌtän\
Definition of Horneophyton
: a genus of Devonian fossil plants (family Rhyniaceae) similar to those of the genus Rhynia but smaller and lacking vascular tissue in the rhizome and considered to be one of the earliest forms of vascular land plants
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game