variants: or Hofmann rearrangement \ ˈhä|fmən- , ˈhȯ| , ˈhō| \
Definition of Hofmann reaction
: the conversion of an acid amide RCONH2 to an amine RNH2 with one less carbon atom by treatment with sodium hypobromite
Keep scrolling for more
to affect and impair by alcohol or a drug
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game