Hob·son-Job·son | \ ¦häbsən¦jäbsən\
Definition of Hobson-Jobson
: assimilation of the sounds of a word or words foreign to a language into the sounds of a word or words coined or already existent in the language (as Spanish cucaracha has become English cockroach or as English riding coat has become French redingote) the law of Hobson-Jobson has played a great role in the evolution of surnames— R. F. Barton — compare folk etymology
Keep scrolling for more
to form ideas or theories about something
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Farm Idioms Quiz Take the quiz
- Up in the Sky: A Quiz Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game