Hip·po·cas·ta·na·ce·ae | \ ˌhipəˌkastəˈnāsēˌē\
Definition of Hippocastanaceae
: a family of trees (order Sapindales) having opposite palmately lobed leaves, showy flowers in large clusters, and nutlike seeds encased in a leathery capsule and including the buckeyes
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game