Definition of Gymnospermae
: a class of Pteropsida or in some classifications a subdivision of Spermatophyta comprising seed plants (as cycads and conifers) that produce naked seeds not enclosed in an ovary and in some instances have motile spermatozoids and including the subclasses Cycadophyta and Coniferophytae — compare angiospermae , filicineae
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/23/19
- Getting to the Heart of 'Epicenter'
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
- It's a Scorcher! Words for the Summer Heat
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?