Definition of Germany
Note: Between 1949 and 1990, Germany was divided into two republics: West Germany, officially called the Federal Republic of Germany , to the west (capital Bonn, area about 96,000 square miles, or 249,600 square kilometers) and East Germany, officially called the German Democratic Republic , to the east (capital East Berlin area about 42,000 square miles or 108,780 square kilometers.
see also german entry 1
Keep scrolling for more
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 5/24/19
- Summer Reading Picks from Merriam-Webster Staffers
- The Wayward Cousins of 'Irregardless'
- Different Words for Luggage and Baggage
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Challenging Vocabulary Quiz Returns! Take the quiz
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game