plural Gelbviehs or Gelbvieh
Definition of Gelbvieh
: any of a breed of medium to large, reddish-yellow, reddish-brown, or black, usually hornless, well-muscled cattle of docile temperament that are originally from southern Germany and are raised in the U.S. chiefly for meat production American farmers mostly raise the Gelbvieh for beef, even though it possesses some dairy traits such as decent milk yield and good maternal care.— John Pukite
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game