Frie·del-Crafts reaction | \ frē¦d|elˈkraf(t)s-, ¦freˌd| \
Definition of Friedel-Crafts reaction
: a synthetic reaction in organic chemistry in which anhydrous aluminum chloride acts as the typical catalyst: such as
a : the synthesis of a hydrocarbon (as ethylbenzene) by alkylation of an aromatic hydrocarbon with an alkyl halide
b : the synthesis of a ketone (as benzophenone) by acylation of an aromatic hydrocarbon with an acyl chloride or acid anhydride
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why is there a 'd' in 'fridge' but not in 'refrigerator'?
- 'All Intensive Purposes' or 'All Intents and Purposes'?
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Name that Thing: Dog Breeds Take the quiz
- Words You Should Know Quiz, Vol. 1 Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game