Flo·ris·bad | \ ˈflōrə̇sˌbät, -bad\
Definition of Florisbad
: an extinct Pleistocene hominid known from a single skull found in southern Africa that has a large flattened cranium and prominent brow ridge The systematic status of Florisbad itself may remain uncertain, but for (all) the other fossils, H. sapiens is the appropriate taxonomic designation.— G. Philip Rightmire, The Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 22 Sept. 2009 —often used before another noun Florisbad manThe Florisbad fossil lacks a bipartite brow, having instead a continuous supraorbital surface that thins laterally.— Jeffrey H. Schwartz and Ian Tattersall, The Human Fossil Record, 2005
Note: Florisbad man was originally described as a separate species (Homo helmei or Africanthropus helmei) and now is variously considered its own species or an early type of Homo sapiens.
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
- The Haiku That Can Pay You Contest Winners
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?