Fil·i·ca·les | \ ˌfiləˈkā(ˌ)lēz\
Definition of Filicales
: an order of herbaceous, arborescent, or occasionally climbing plants (class Filicineae) that comprise the true ferns, that are characterized by exstipulate fronds, leptosporangiate sporangial development, and small thin-walled sporangia which are usually borne in sori on the undersides of the fronds, and that have a characteristic ring of thick-walled cells which assists in dehiscence of the spores — compare fern ally, pteridophyta
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Words We're Watching: 'Samesies'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 10/18/19
- Noah Webster's Spelling Wins and Fails
- The Disputed Origins of the 'Egg Cream'
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game