variants: or Fayyumic \ (ˈ)fā¦yümik , (ˈ)fī¦- \
Definition of Fayumic
(Entry 1 of 2)
1 : of, belonging to, or situated in the Fayum, a fertile depression in Egypt south of Cairo and connected with the Nile valley by a narrow pass
2 : of, belonging to, being, or composed in Fayumic
variants: or Fayyumic \ " \
Definition of Fayumic (Entry 2 of 2)
: a dialect of Coptic spoken in the early Christian period in Middle Egypt of which fragments of a New Testament translation survive
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game