European mountain ashnoun
Definition of European mountain ash
: a mountain ash (Sorbus aucuparia) of Eurasia that typically reaches a height of 20 to 40 feet (6.1 to 12.2 meters) and has showy clusters of small white flowers and bright orange to red berrylike fruits that are technically pomes
Note: The European mountain ash is often grown as an ornamental tree and has become naturalized in parts of North America.
— called also mountain ash, rowan— compare american mountain ash
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
- The Haiku That Can Pay You Contest Winners
- Must 'Collide' Mean Two Moving Objects?
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game