Eurasian collared dovenoun
variants: or Eurasian collared-dove
Definition of Eurasian collared dove
: collared dove sense 1 In fact, an invasive dove called the Eurasian collared dove is flourishing in many urban areas, and they may be attracting Cooper's hawks.— Gary Clark, Houston Chronicle, 21 June 2008 In your backyard this winter, you might be sheltering invaders, Eurasian collared-doves, whose ancestors escaped during a Bahamian pet shop burglary in the 1970s and flew on to colonize much of North America.— Nancy J. White, Toronto Star, 15 Feb. 2013
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Words We're Watching: 'Samesies'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 10/18/19
- Noah Webster's Spelling Wins and Fails
- The Disputed Origins of the 'Egg Cream'
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game