Definition of Dubhe
: a group of stars of the second magnitude that is the second brightest component of the constellation Ursa Major The outer two stars in the cup of the Big Dipper are called Dubhe and Merak. Together, they are called pointer stars and direct you across the sky to the star Polaris, also called the North Star. — Knoxville (Tennessee) News-Sentinel, 4 Sept. 2008
— called also Alpha Ursae Majoris
Note: What is visible to the naked eye in the night sky as the star Dubhe is actually a system of four stars bound together gravitationally.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Farm Idioms Quiz Take the quiz
- Up in the Sky: A Quiz Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game