Cy·an·ea | \ sīˈanēə, -ān-\
Definition of Cyanea
: a genus of scyphozoan jellyfishes chiefly of temperate and arctic seas that includes the common red stinging jellyfish (C. capillata) of the North Atlantic coast which reputedly attains a maximum diameter of over seven feet
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game