Definition of Chinese dogwood
: dogwood The Chinese dogwood (Cornus kousa) has the flowers open after the first set of leaves have expanded therefore the showy white bracts are partially hidden by the new leaves.— Harvey Cotten, Huntsville (Alabama) Times, 19 Apr. 2008
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Citation Play the game