Definition of Ceylon cinnamon
: the dried bark of a tropical tree (Cinnamomum zeylanicum synonym C. verum) of Sri Lanka and southern India that yields a typically mild and somewhat sweet tan to light brown cinnamon that is considered the true cinnamon of commerce also : the powdered spice produced from Ceylon cinnamon bark — compare cassia sense 1, chinese cinnamon, indonesian cinnamon, saigon cinnamon
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?