Definition of Canes Venatici
: a northern constellation that is visible between the constellations of Boötes and Ursa Major and that is represented by the figures of dogs
Note: The dogs of Canes Venatici are usually pictured as being held on a leash by the figure of Boötes the Herdsman, the figure associated with the constellation Boötes.
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game