Definition of California woodpecker
: a common woodpecker (Melanerpes formicivora bairdi) of the Pacific states noted for its habit of storing acorns in little holes which it digs in the bark of trees
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game