Definition of California wine
: a complex of wines produced in California, some resembling in varying degree Old World Burgundy, Chablis, Chianti, claret, Marsala, muscatel, port, Riesling, sauterne, sherry, and vermouth and others having distinctive characteristics not duplicated elsewhere but made from the grapes of an imported vine (Vinis vinifera)
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 9/13/19
- A Guide to Using Colons
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?