Definition of Cairo
city on the Nile River in northern Egypt; the nation's capital population 7,786,640
Note: Cairo grew from its roots in the 7th century to become the largest city in Africa, Europe, and Asia Minor in the first half of the 14th century.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why is there a 'd' in 'fridge' but not in 'refrigerator'?
- 'All Intensive Purposes' or 'All Intents and Purposes'?
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Name that Thing: Dog Breeds Take the quiz
- Words You Should Know Quiz, Vol. 1 Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game