Bra·chyc·era | \ braˈkisərə, brəˈ-\
Definition of Brachycera
: a suborder of Diptera including the more highly specialized flies which have palpi with one or two joints and usually short antennae with one or never more than six joints (such as the horsefly, robber fly, and housefly) — compare nematocera
Keep scrolling for more
to form ideas or theories about something
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Farm Idioms Quiz Take the quiz
- Up in the Sky: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game