Definition of Bophuthatswana
former group of noncontiguous enclaves in the Republic of South Africa mostly on or near the border with Botswana and set aside for black people as part of a government program of racial segregation; capital Mmabatho
Note: Bophuthatswana was declared to be independent in 1977 but was reincorporated into South Africa in 1994.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 5/24/19
- Summer Reading Picks from Merriam-Webster Staffers
- The Wayward Cousins of 'Irregardless'
- Different Words for Luggage and Baggage
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Challenging Vocabulary Quiz Returns! Take the quiz
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game