Definition of Bophuthatswana
former group of noncontiguous enclaves in the Republic of South Africa mostly on or near the border with Botswana and set aside for black people as part of a government program of racial segregation; capital Mmabatho
Note: Bophuthatswana was declared to be independent in 1977 but was reincorporated into South Africa in 1994.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game