Definition of Benin
1 river about 100 miles (161 kilometers) long in southern Nigeria west of the Niger River flowing into the Bight of Benin
2 former kingdom of western Africa on the lower Niger River; incorporated into Nigeria after 1897
4 or Benin City city in the western delta of the Niger River, southwestern Nigeria population 202,800
to mark by some ceremony or observation
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 5/24/19
- Summer Reading Picks from Merriam-Webster Staffers
- The Wayward Cousins of 'Irregardless'
- Different Words for Luggage and Baggage
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Challenging Vocabulary Quiz Returns! Take the quiz
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game